The Foundation of the Frederick County Dental Society


The chronicle of the Frederick County Dental Society and the men who founded it begins on December 6, 1918. Five Frederick dentists met to organize a society and they had certain objectives.

  • To promote the best interests of the dental profession.
  • To encourage a friendly intercourse among its members.
  • To educate the public to a proper understanding and appreciation of the necessity for skillful dental operations.
  • To develop dental literature.
  • To assist in the elevation of dental education.
Drs. Thomas S. Eader, Charles G. MacGil, Joseph T. Pyles, A. Atlee Radcliff, and James E. Waltman, formulated a Constitution and Bylaws for this new society. The original document in Dr. Eaders handwriting is preserved in the minutes of the Frederick County Dental Society.

On December 13, 1918, six dentists met to discuss the proposed Constitution and Bylaws: Drs. Eader, MacGill, Pyles, Waltman, Radcliff and Bernard M. Davis. Minor corrections and additions were made. The YMCA building served as the site for the first meeting of the Frederick County Dental Society on December 27, 1918 as the Constitution and Bylaws were ratified by Drs. Thomas S. Eader, Charles G. MacGill, A. Atlee Radcliff, James E. Waltman, Bernard M. Davis, Joseph T. Pyles, David G. Everhart, Sr. and Noah E. Kefauver. With the payment of the dues, the Frederick County Dental Society was founded.

Early meetings were held at 2:00 PM on Fridays. At the first business meeting January 13, 1919, Dr. Allen Wolfe of Washington, D.C., presented a lecture on Conductive Anesthesia, following which everyone repaired to the View City Hotel for dinner except Dr. Sweeney who had to leave for in home in Emmitsburg.

Over the next few years the Frederick County Dental Society settled into a pattern of activity. Working to inform and impress on the public the effort organized dentistry was expending to advance itself, both as an art and science, and as an ethical profession. The members of the society coalesced into a unit to remove advertising, to present a solid facade to non-members (and members on occasion), who might be operating in an unprofessional manner. By Publishing a fee schedule for the public to see, a standard was established on which to base decisions and which prevented gouging. A fee was charged for missed appointments, prescription writing had an individual fee, periodontal and orthodontic treatment was being rendered and general anesthesia was available.

The Frederick County Dental Society addressed the needs of the citizens of Frederick County in the decades that followed. Dental care for the indigent. fluoridation of water supplies, military dental services, care for the handicapped, dental education of school children and development of public facilities for dental care all became at least as important as the professional issues of advertising, manpower, insurance, socialized dentistry and the many other dental concerns found on the current agendas of local and state societies.

And so what began as the Frederick County Dental Society with five concerned dentists, has grown to include a group of men and women totaling 108 members.